Following a legal agreement between Havering Council and
Morrisons, plans are being brought forward that will deliver a new leisure centre on Western Road in the town centre.
To help deliver the new leisure facilities in the town centre and provide other benefits, a new Morrisons, petrol station and housing development is being proposed on the site of existing Romford Ice Arena on Rom Valley Way.
Together the proposals will:
- create hundreds of new jobs for local people, with training and apprenticeship opportunities
- deliver long-awaited leisure centre in the heart of Romford
- improve food shopping choice in Romford by introducing the first Morrisons to the Borough with its affordable fresh food offer
- regenerate both the Western Road and Rom Valley Way sites and provide a catalyst for further regeneration in Romford
- provide much-needed new housing in Romford
- boost trade and footfall in the town centre.
Two distinct planning applications have been approved for the
two sites – one by Morrisons for Rom Valley Way; the other
by the Havering Council for Western Road.